Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Two Days

Much more progress to report.

I've obtained my CAC card - the smartcard-based military ID that I will need to show pretty much anywhere to do pretty much anything. I also obtained my LOA -- Letter of Authorization -- granting me permission to travel to Iraq. I was advised to carry 20 copies of the LOA with me at all times while traveling; you'll give a copy (or two, or three) at each step of your journey in-theater. I have obtained my shipping trunks and finally found khaki cargo pants, cargo shorts, and nice matching shirts -- and quite by accident -- at a K-Mart, of all places. Best of all, the shirts were on sale - but as with anything at K-Mart, it comes at the price of aggravation.

The shirts had a price tag (in sticker form) that said "$6.99 or 2 for $11.00". A sign over the table said, "50% off Regular Price". So, with my rudimentary math skills, I calculated that 2 shirts would cost $5.50, or $2.75 per shirt. Fits the budget. SOLD! However, somewhat skeptically, I asked the saleslady in the Mens Department if that was indeed how it would be rung up, and she answered in the affirmative. Great! ...Until I got to the register, where they rang up for $3.49. When I asked about it, the cashier said, "Well, the $6.99 IS the regular price". When I pointed out that the regular price for 2 was $11.00, she told me that the 2/$11 was already a discount price. I countered with logic, pointing out that the sign said that it was 50% off the regular price, and that if I could have purchased 2 for $11 before the 50% sale, that $11 WAS the regular price. To make a long story short, the next 10 minutes involved a (rather rude) manager, the saleslady in question, and my Googling and invocation of certain Florida Statues and relevant case law on retail pricing. Finally, I emerged victorius - $6 richer for the experience. Hey, money's tight.

I still didn't have enough of everything, and so after a stop at a Wal-Mart for the shipping trunks, I stopped at another K-Mart down the road a bit. Same pants, same shirts, and yes, you guessed it, same argument. This time, however, I was ready. As soon as the manager approached the checkout, I showed him the price tag and asked what the regular price for two shirts would be. "$11.00", he replied.

"OK, so if the sale is 50% off the regular price, than the sale price is $5.50, right?"

"Yes... Uh... But no, the $11 is already a sale price.."

"No, you just said it was the REGULAR price."

"But it's already a discounted price.."

"Granted, but according to Florida Statue, the labeled price IS the regular price.."

He caved.

It was then that I got an idea why the K-Marts were virtually deserted while the Wal-Mart was packed.


It appears that I will intitally go to Camp Marez, in Mosul, where I will spend a little time learning the physical infrastructure a bit and getting acclimated to the environment. I'm not yet sure where I will be assigned for the duration.

On a more personal side, the rapid approach of the departure date is hitting everyone pretty hard -- except the boys, who are too young to understand (ah, to be a kid again...). Intellectually, everyone (including Courtney) understands why I am doing what I am doing. Emotionally, however, it's a different matter entirely. Separation issues, distance issues, environmental issues... What's funny, however, is that while everyone is worried about my safety over there, I'm worried about how well Ty will cope with not only the day-to-day aspects all by herself for such an extended period, but also whatever extraordinary events may occur (hurricane, car accident, fire, serious illness, etc..). I'm also extremely concerned about Courtney and how she will adapt. I would like to think that she'll cope as time goes on.... But I'm not convinced yet.

Up until now, this has been mostly an intellectual exercise for me - but now the realities are hitting home. I am confident that I can hack it over there -- heck, how many already do? I know I can do a bang-up job over there. I'm just not sure how the overall situation will affect me. "That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger" -- looks like I will be putting this to the test.

Pardon my little emotional sojurn. I realize that I am repeating myself a tad from previous posts, but to me, this blog has three purposes -- to keep my family and friends updated as to what's going on, to hopefully fill a vast hole in information available to those contemplating taking this step (like what to pack, etc), and as a journal of sorts for me -- to get out what's on my mind; a little blog-therapy, if you will.

1 comment:

  1. Re: Your "adventures" at K-Mart...

    Common sense, unfortunately, isn't.

    ReplyDelete