Friday, July 10, 2009

Departure

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go
I'm standing here outside your door
I hate to wake you up to say goodbye
But the dawn is breaking, it's early morn
The taxi's waiting, he's blowing his horn
Already I'm so lonesome I could cry.

So kiss me and smile for me
Tell me that you'll wait for me
Hold me like you'll never let me go.
I'm leaving on a jet plane
I don't know when I'll be back again
Oh, babe, I hate to go.


With all the travel issues resolved and the intermediate week having passed, departure draws nigh. I spent the extra time taking care of some last minute things, re-packing my trunks, and generally trying to enjoy the last bit of time with the family before I "really" go.

I finally managed to settle on the one elusive item - a rolling backpack. I'd been advised to use a backpack for my carry-on bag, but I wanted one that could also roll like luggage - while I may have to grab-and-run in desert environs, I also will be in more civilized areas like Tampa, JFK, and Dubai airports - so why kill my back? Most places wanted $125 and up for a backpack - and yet again, K-Mart came to the rescue with a $25.00 solution. I was going to forego my normal laptop bag (which rolls) in favor of another one (with a shoulder strap), but it was so jam-packed that it seemed ridiculous. So last night, I moved everything back to the original laptop bag - which held everything much more efficiently. I'll have to hand-carry it (it is weighed down to the point that I think a shoulder strap would snap!), but if that be the price...

Yesterday was pretty emotional; I took my daughter out for a last "Daddy-Daughter Date". We were going to go miniature golfing, but yet again the weather decided not to cooperate. So to the movies we went, where we saw "Imagine That" after a nice lunch of sushi. This was probably the worst movie we could have picked -- a movie about the love between a father and daughter - and I wound up unable to control myself and broke down. Later, while talking to my oldest son (all of 4 years old), again, I broke down. The reality that I will not see them, play with them, or hug and kiss them for a minimum of 5 months (and likely longer) is hitting home -- and hard. No more nights on the couch with the wife watching TV, no more family days to Busch Gardens.. Everything seems so final for some reason. Although intellectually I know that I am coming home, emotionally it feels like I am leaving forever. I do certainly hope that once I get there and get to work that I get in a groove and keep busy so that I don't think about it too much.

The NY family, meanwhile, is planning to "kidnap" me at JFK and take me out for a pizza dinner. I'm glad that I will be able to see them all again one last time (there I go again).

See you all on the other side.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck.
    Be well.
    Most importantly: Be safe.

    I know that the separation will be hard on you - and everyone - but I also know that you'll be able to handle it.

    You'll "only" be 10 or 11 hours off MDT, so I'm sure our paths might cross online; I'm looking forward to hearing about your take on life in the Middle East.

    I'm also glad to see that you'll be able to spend a little time with your folks from NY before you head out.

    Blue skies and gentle landings.

    Namaste.

    ReplyDelete